Beverly Golf & Tennis Club
The Beverly Golf & Tennis Club is located at 134 McKay Street in Beverly, MA. It was built in 1910 by the United Shoe Machinery Corporation (United Shoe) which, at that time, was the largest employer in the City and one of the world’s leading manufacturers of shoemaking equipment. The Clubhouse was a social and recreational facility for the United Shoe employees. The company was at the forefront of voluntarily undertaking actions for the improvement of the working and living conditions of its employees.
United Shoe employees used the Clubhouse and adjacent grounds for a variety of athletic and other recreational activities until 1971 when the Clubhouse and surrounding 300 acres were sold to a private developer. In 1978, the City purchased the Clubhouse and 168 acres which the City continued to use as a golf course. The developer retained the additional 132 acres for housing and conservation.
The Clubhouse is notable for three categories of historic significance: architecture, community planning, and industry. The Clubhouse is an excellent example of a large scale, Arts and Crafts designed structure of the period.
In November 1982, the City’s nomination of the Clubhouse for listing in the National Register was approved and on the same day it was included in the MA State Register of Historic Places.
Beverly Golf & Tennis operates today as a public facility with an exquisite 18-hole golf course and 10 outdoor clay tennis courts.
134 McKay St, Beverly, MA, 01915-2579
134 McKay St
Beverly, MA USA